not just a desk job

CIH Scotland

College and university graduates?

If you've completed a non-housing related course at college and don't want to undertake further study, follow the same path as School leavers to find the best ways of getting your first job in housing.

If you already have a university degree in a related subject, such as social sciences, social care, urban studies or geography, you may be eligible to apply for the Postgraduate Diploma in Housing. As well as providing you with essential theory, legislative knowledge and Chartered Membership of CIH, many of the courses will also offer placements, which give you hands-on experience within a housing environment.

If you don't want to undertake further study, visit How can I find a job? to see if there are any opportunities that would be suited to your current experience.

If you don't hold a housing related qualification, expect to join at entry level to gain some experience, unless you have previous work experience in a similar field. A degree will play a vital role in allowing you to progress up the career ladder. Speak to the careers adviser at your university or visit your local careers centre for advice on gaining work experience.

I enjoy making a difference and every day is different. I like helping people when they are at rock bottom and helping them pick themselves up and see their lives improving.

Housing Officer